Getting More from Mental Health Assessment with Children
|OnDemand Webinar||$69||Add to Cart|
This on-demand webinar will present techniques to help mental health clinicians use interview-based assessment with children more effectively. It assumes prior practice in mental status exams or other forms of mental health interviewing. The on-demand webinar will provide a framework for an in-depth assessment, along with consideration of nuances in the process that can lead to deeper understanding. To provide an indication of how the presented concepts can be translated into practice, this webinar will conclude with presentation of a case study related to commonly occurring assessment issues.
- You will be able to explain a functional behavioral assessment mentality.
- You will be able to discuss ways to get to a deeper level of understanding through an interview-based mental health assessment.
- You will be able to explain conditions needed for the client to achieve hoped-for success.
AuthorsAugust R. Meyer, Ph.D., August R. Meyer, Ph.D.
The Context: What Are You Asking and Why?
• The Diagnostic Label Is Only the Beginning
• Presenting Concerns
• Under What Conditions Can the Client Achieve Hoped-for Success
Functional Behavioral Assessment Mentality
• Antecedents, Behaviors and Consequences
• The FBA-Y: Going Beyond ABC's to a Deeper Understanding of Why Behaviors Occur and How to Respond to Them Effectively
• Consideration of Both Protective and Risk Factors
Highlighting Key Elements in an Interview-Based Mental Health Assessment
• Directness: The Question Unanswered Is the Question Unasked
• Behavioral Observations
• The Interactive Process of a Clinical Interview
• Key Questions - Review of Dr. Meyer's Checklist
• Projective Questions
• The Wrap-up - Leaving the Client With Something to Take Home
• Recommendations/Treatment Plan, With a Holistic View - Medication and Psychotherapy Are Not Enough
• Hypersensitive/Hyper-Reactive Children